Tuesday, July 1, 2014

5e Incoming!

The release of the D&D Basic Rules PDF (FREE) is right around the corner (Thursday!), and I can’t wait to get my hands on it! I don’t yet know what I’ll do with it besides read it, but I’m looking forward to the reading. I think there's going to be a fair number of things that we'll see creep into various OSR games, particularly the advantage/disadvantage mechanic. I can think of a number of tweaks that could make that even more versatile. For example if you somehow incorporated the DCC Heroic Deeds mechanic...

This is where I started...

It’s interesting the various level of passion I’ve seen displayed toward 5e. Some people really care a whole lot, whether it’s for it or against it. I better understand the passion of the people that are looking forward to it. It’s something new, something potentially exciting, an infusion of some new ideas, maybe new people into our hobby.

I have a hard time understanding how that’s a bad thing, even if you have no interest in playing it yourself. How does this in any way stop you from enjoying a version of D&D that isn't officially supported anyway?They aren't taking away the OGL, the SRD is still up and running. Pathfinder certainly isn't going away! So what's with the hate?

On the other hand, I’ve gotten to play/DM more D&D of different types lately, including DCC, Castles & Crusades, and B/X, and I’m beginning to understand the strong preferences people have for their favorite systems, yet how minor those preferences/differences can be.

Who's going to start here, I wonder...

Even more than my own curiosity about the new edition, I’m looking forward to 5e bringing balance to the force I mean tapping down the edition wars that have flared up again that is... uhhh...

I'm looking forward to playing some more D&D, whatever the edition. Let's roll some d20's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Moderation is in place. Email notifications are spotty... might be a bit before this gets published. Sorry.